COMUNE DI BASSIANO
Surrounded by mountains and dominated by Mt. Semprevis, the highest of the Monti Le-pini (1536 m.), the town stands on a hill (562 m.)completely submerged in green woods, making a summer holiday particularly delightful. The town, enclosed within a ring of walls dating from the 12th-13th century, with nine towers and three gates, winds a spiral around Piazza della Torre and is rich in medieval and renaissance architecture.
This is where Aldo Manuzio the Elder, a 16th century editor at whom a museum is dedi-cated in Via Aldo Manuzio, and Fra’ Vincenzo Pietrosanti, the 17th century sculptor of wooden crucifixes, were born. Of historic and monumental interest are Palazzo Caetani, now the Town Hall, the Collegiate of St. erasmo, the Romanesque church, wih gothic ad-ditions, of St. Nicola and the church of St. Maria.
Approximately 3 km far from Bassiano, at Selvascura, stands the Sanctuary of the Croci-fisso which conserves a wooden Crucifix sculptured by Pietrosanti; about 5 km far from the village, on the hill of the same name, is the Sanctuary of the Trinity, completed in the late Thirties. Besides the Angelus vigil with torchlight procession and the feasts of Maria SS. Assunta and St.Rocco, an interesting cycle of celebrations is held in May, including the “Faùni”, with large bonfire lit in the main square. The Ham Festival must also be mentioned, as this is a local delicacy, as too are olives, oil, giuncata (curdled milk) and impanata (fresh whey and ricotta cheese spread on bread) made by local shepherds