COMUNE DI CORI
Standing amidst a vast espanse of olive groves and vineyards, on a small conical hill (398 m.) behind Mt.Lupone (1378 m.), the town position makes it a quite residential area. Of particular interest among the various uncontaminated natural habitats is the area of Fontana del Prato, the slopes leading inland and the two natural monuments Lago di Giulianello and Torrecchia Vecchia.
Still well conserved, Cori has a characteristic mediaeval urban fabric with streets, steps and porticoes developed around the hill, from Porta Romana to the Acropoli. Of ancient origin, having been founded before Rome, Cori has an unmistakable Italic imprint, visible in the massive strong walls that date from various periods and accompany the town from Cori a Valle to Cori a Monte. Of the Roman period are the Doric tetrastyle temple dedicated to Hercules and the remain of the Corinthian temple of Castor and Pollux, the so-called Pozzo Dorico, and the intact Catena Bridge at the entrance to the town. Be-tween the 12th and 13th century Cori experienced a renewed period of prosperity and splendour of which numerous traces remain: the church of St. Maria della Pietà, built on the temple dedicated to the goddess Fortuna; the churches of St. Oliva, with the monu-mental complexe which houses the museum Della Città e del Territorio, of the Annun-ziata, of St.Francesco, with the annexe monastery, of SS. Pietro e Paolo; the gates con-sturcted on Roman structures, which divide the town into three districts, and, on Mt. Gi-nestra, the Sancturay of the Madonna del Soccorso. The value of traditions and customs is still of great importance, as demonstrated by the Carosello Storico, a carousel in medi-aeval costume with traditional games held by the districts of Cori, and the presence of groups of flag-wavers.